Oven roasted cauliflower, lentils, spring onion and so much spice – this vegan roasted cauliflower dahl is a lovely, warming meal that is good all year around. You simply can’t go wrong with this super easy, iron-rich and plant protein packed recipe.
When we transitioned to a vegan diet a few years ago, the Indian cuisine was the first we really started to experiment with. Why? Because it’s so versatile, extremely vegan-friendly and it’s many unique herbs and spices bring incredible flavour to simple dishes, like this roasted cauliflower dahl (also dal or dhal). Ever since we first made this dish all those years ago, it has been one of our favourite recipes.
Which lentils can I use for this dahl?
You can use any type of lentils for this dahl. Of all dried lentils, red lentils cook the quickest. They are also sold “split,” meaning they are processed into smaller lentil bits, which means that they tend to disintegrate when cooked and help to thicken soups or stews. Red lentils also taste a little bit sweet and nutty and are very common in Indian and Middle Eastern cuisine. Our personal favourite are green lentils, because of their very robust and slightly peppery flavor. If you’re looking to speed up the cooking time for a speedy weekday lunch or dinner, you can also use tinned lentils.
Is this dahl gluten-free?
Yes, this vegan roasted cauliflower dahl is gluten-free.
How can I store it?
You can store leftovers in the fridge, where they’ll last for a few days.
Can I freeze it?
Yes, this dahl is freezer-friendly if you want to freeze it. You can add a splash of water when reheating it, if it feels like it’s drying out.
Total cooking time: 35 minutes | Serves: 2 | Easy
- 200g lentils, rinsed and drained
- (or 1 tin green lentils)
- 120g rice, cooked
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 spring onion, chopped (for serving)
- Handful fresh coriander, chopped (for serving)
- Preheat your oven to 220°C.
- Place the cauliflower florets into an ovenproof dish or onto a baking tray and drizzle with 3 tbsp olive oil and salt until lightly and evenly coated in oil. Roast in the oven for 25 minutes, tossing halfway.
- In the meantime, make your dahl. Place a pan over a medium heat. Add 1 tbsp olive oil, garlic cloves and red onion and let it cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Add all the spices, stir well and let everything fry together for a few minutes. Pour in coconut milk, add lentils and reduce heat. Cook uncovered for about 20-25 minutes, stirring occasionally. If you’re using tinned lentils, cook for 6-8 minutes over medium heat.
- Once cooked, season with more salt and pepper if needed. To serve, add rice, dahl and roasted cauliflower to a bowl and sprinkle with spring onion and fresh coriander.
Craving more simple, vegan comfort food? Here are some more of our favourite recipes on Veano:
PS: We absolutely love seeing your takes on our recipes! If you make our vegan roasted cauliflower dahl, tag us on Instagram as @weareveano. Also let us know how this recipe turns out for you in the comments!
What's Your Reaction?
Founder of Veano