This vegan mushroom stroganoff is flavourful, comforting, hearty, very tasty, and perfect as a weeknight dinner, especially in fall and winter! Vegan protein, juicy mushrooms and a creamy vegan sauce – this belly-warming goodness is exactly what you need during the colder months.
We LOVE experimenting with classic non-vegan comfort food and giving it our vegan twist, while still keeping all the amazing flavour. This vegan mushroom stroganoff is one of those recipes.
The original dish – beef stroganoff – originates in Russia and contains sautéed pieces of beef served in a sauce with smetana (sour cream). The dish is named after one of the members of the influential Stroganov family. A legend attributes its invention to French chefs working for the family, but several researchers point out that the recipe is a refined version of older Russian dishes.
For our vegan mushroom stroganoff, we have replaced the beef with soya chunks, which provide a lovely texture and depth to the meal. Combined with mushrooms, soya cream and a good pinch of smoked paprika, this recipe is every bit as rich and luscious as it looks, but still ready in under 30 minutes! Whether you have to feed an entire crew or plan a romantic dinner for two, this recipe will be the perfect warming dish.
Is this dish gluten-free?
Yes, this vegan stroganoff is gluten-free. Just make sure to use a vegan protein source without any additives. And, of course, you’ll need to serve it with gluten-free pasta.
How to store it?
You can store leftovers in the fridge, where they’ll last for a few days.
Total cooking time: 25 minutes | Serves: 2 | Easy
- 20g vegan butter or margarine
- 150g mushrooms
- 2 pickled gherkins, sliced
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 200g vegan soya or pea protein chunks (we like these)
- 200ml vegetable stock
- 30ml white wine
- 100ml soya cream
- 1 small red or white onion, chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Handful fresh parsley, chopped
- Salt and pepper
1. To make this vegan mushroom stroganoff, heat olive oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add soya chunks, season with salt and pepper and sauteé for a few minutes. Set aside.
2. In the same pan, heat vegan butter and add onions. Sauté for 2-3 minutes, then add gherkins and mushrooms. Cook for 5 more minutes over medium heat, stirring occasionally.
3. Add smoked paprika, deglaze with white wine, then add vegetable stock.
4. Add soya chunks back in and cook the sauce for 5 minutes. Add parsley, soya cream and season with some more salt and pepper if needed.
5. Serve with rice or pasta.
We hope you love this recipe as much as we do. We’d love to see your creations – tag us on Instagram if you give it a try @weareveano.
If you’re looking for more vegan recipe inspiration, why not try the recipes below:
What's Your Reaction?
Co-Founder of Veano