Flavourful quinoa and bean patties, a festive brussels sprout slaw, garlic mushrooms and so much spice – this vegan Christmas burger is incredibly rich and so satisfying! Packed with festive flavours like toasted almonds and cranberries, there’s no way you won’t get into the Christmas spirit!
Total cooking time: 40 minutes | Serves: 4 | Easy
For the burgers:
- 1 tin (300g) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 100g quinoa
- 80g oats
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tbsp bread crumbs
- 1 tsp paprika powder
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
For the brussels sprout slaw:
- 150g brussels sprouts, shredded
- 1 tbsp almonds, roughly chopped
- ½ tbsp maple syrup
- 1/2 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ½ tbsp apple cider vinegar
- ¼ tsp salt
For the garlic mushrooms:
- 100g mushrooms, chopped
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ tbsp olive oil
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
To serve (optional):
- 2 tbsp cranberry sauce
- 1/2 red onion, sliced
1. First up, cook the quinoa according to package instructions. To add more flavour, cook with vegetable stock instead of water. Set aside to cool.
2. Next, make the brussels sprout slaw. Toast the chopped almonds in a pan over medium heat for 5 minutes. Stir frequently, until they are fragrant and turn golden on the edges.
3. Whisk together the rest of the slaw ingredients, except the brussels sprouts, in a bowl. Then add the shredded brussels sprouts and almonds and toss to combine. Set aside.
4. Now make the burger patties. Combine kidney beans, onion, garlic, oats, soy sauce, bread crumbs, tomato paste, paprika powder and pepper in a bowl. Blitz the mixture using a hand blender or transfer it to a food processor. Make sure you don’t blitz until completely mushy.
4. Add quinoa to the burger mixture and season with more salt and pepper if needed.
5. Heat oil in a pan over medium heat. Form 4 patties with your hands. Cook the patties in the hot oil until heated through, 4-5 minutes on each side.
6. In the meantime, make the garlic mushrooms. Heat oil in a pan over medium-high heat.
7. Add the mushrooms and season generously with salt and pepper.
8. Cook, stirring occasionally until mushrooms are golden brown, about 5-7 minutes. Stir in garlic powder and cook for another minute.
9. Now assemble your burger! Start with the bottom half of the bun, add the patty, then the mushrooms and brussels sprout slaw and top with cranberry sauce and red onion (optional).
What's Your Reaction?
Co-Founder of Veano