This vegan aubergine katsu curry is one of our absolute faves! Crispy aubergine with a delicious sweet and tangy sauce. So comforting, full of flavour and super simple to make.
Total cooking time: 25 minutes | Serves: 2 | Easy
For the katsu sauce:
- 1 red onion, diced
- 4 carrots, sliced
- 2cm fresh ginger, peeled and grated
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 250ml vegetable stock
- ½ can coconut milk
- 1 tbsp garam masala
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- Salt and pepper to taste
For the aubergine:
- 1 aubergine, cut into 1cm thick slices
- 85g flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 140ml soya or almond milk
- 60g breadcrumbs
- 80-100ml vegetable oil for frying
1. To make this vegan aubergine katsu curry, start by preparing the curry sauce. Heat olive oil in a saucepan over medium heat, add onions and garlic and sauté for 3-4 minutes.
2. Add ginger, garam masala, maple syrup, salt and pepper and give everything a good stir. Add carrots and sauté for another minute.
3. Pour in vegetable stock, reduce heat and cover with a lid. Cook for 15 minutes or until most of the water has been absorbed and the carrots are soft but not mushy. Transfer to a blender (or use a hand blender) and blend until smooth. Pour back into the saucepan and splash in the coconut milk, a little at a time, stirring to make a smooth sauce. Simmer over a low heat for 5 more minutes, adding a splash of water if it gets too thick.
4. While the curry sauce is cooking, make the aubergine. Preheat the oven to 200°C.
5. In one mixing bowl combine the flour, salt and milk and whisk to a smooth batter. Pour the breadcrumbs into a separate bowl. Tip the aubergine slices into the batter and toss to cover. Then roll it around in the breadcrumbs bowl until completely covered. Repeat with all slices.
6. Heat vegetable oil in a second pan and carefully add the aubergine slices. Fry for 4-5 minutes on each side. Transfer to a baking tray and bake for 10 more minutes at 200°C.
7. Just before serving, gently reheat the curry sauce for 5 minutes, adding more water and salt if need be. Serve your vegan aubergine katsu curry with rice or vegan naan bread.
What's Your Reaction?
Co-Founder of Veano