These oven baked tofu fries are so addictive! Tofu slices tossed with oil, sprinkled with breadcrumbs and spices, and baked in the oven until browned and crispy at the edges. The best tofu fries recipe out there – promise!
I’ve been experimenting with a ton of tofu recipes over the last month and I now feel like I can confidently stand by my title here — this tofu fries recipe really is the best! Here’s why:
They’re crispy on the outside, super yummy on the inside and really easy to make, too. They’re vegetarian and vegan and can easily be made gluten free too. Simply sub the breadcrumbs with almond flour or rice flour. And the best part? They are totally do-able in your own kitchen and ready in under 30 minutes.
Right, what are we waiting for?! Let’s make a batch!
How to make the best tofu fries:
1. Press your tofu
As tofu contains a lot of water, you need to press it ahead of baking. To do this, simply wrap the tofu in a clean kitchen or paper towel and put a stack of books or something heavy such as a frying pan on top. Leave for 15-25 minutes. Alternatively, you can use your hands to press it lightly. Just make sure you’re distributing the pressure evenly and don’t push too hard.
2. Don’t be afraid to season well
With tofu, it’s all about the seasoning! If you don’t season tofu well, your fries might turn out a little bland. So don’t shy away from using all the spices listed below – or more if you wish! It will add all the amazing flavours to the tofu.
3. Slice the tofu thinly
You want your fries to be about 1/3″ (0.8 cm) thin, or close to it. The thinner they are, the crispier they get.
Tofu is nutritious:
Tofu is a versatile ingredient with many health benefits. It’s a lovely source of protein and contains several anti-inflammatory, antioxidant phytochemicals making it a great addition to an anti-inflammatory diet. Tofu is also a valuable plant source of iron and calcium– in addition to fibre, potassium, magnesium, copper and manganese.
Tofu fries serving suggestions:
- I love serving these tofu fries with a spicy vegan mayo or creamy yogurt garlic dip
- They pair nicely with my chickpea burger
- Or why not serve them with something more exotic like tacos or quesadillas
Tofu fries ingredients:
To make the best tofu fries, you will need:
Tofu: For this recipe, you’ll need firm tofu. As mentioned above, you need to press it before doing anything else with it
Olive oil: To brush the tofu fries before tossing them in breadcrumbs and spices
Panko breadcrumbs: These are lighter, crispier and flakier than ordinary breadcrumbs, giving the fries a more defined texture
Seasonings: I usually like to use a simple mixture of smoked paprika, chilli powder, garlic powder, nutritional yeast and fresh parsley. But feel free to adjust and add your favourite spices.
Craving more creative fries recipes? Check out my ultra crispy mushroom fries recipe.
Total cooking time: 50 minutes | Serves: 2 | Easy
- 1 tofu (300g)
- 4 tbsp panko breadcrumbs
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- ½ tsp pepper
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp salt
- To prepare the tofu, simply wrap it in a clean kitchen or paper towel and put a stack of books or something heavy such as a frying pan on top. Leave to press for 15-25 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C.
- Cut the pressed tofu into two, then into long strips, about 1/3″ (0.8 cm) thin, and place into a bowl.
- In a separate bowl, combine breadcrumbs, spices, nutritional yeast, parsley and flour.
- Brush the tofu strips with olive oil, then dip into the prepared breadcrumbs mixture.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes until browned and crispy.
- Serve with your favourite dipping sauce, burgers, tacos or quesadillas and enjoy.
Did you make this tofu fries recipe?
We absolutely love seeing your takes on our recipes! If you make our tofu fries recipe, tag us on Instagram as @weareveano. Also let us know how this recipe turns out for you in the comments!
What's Your Reaction?
Founder of Veano