Super crispy, flavour-packed tempeh anyone?! Marinated and baked in the oven, this tempeh delivers on every level. Having tried dozens of tempeh dishes over the last years, I promise you, this is the best tempeh recipe out there.
Tempeh is not only super versatile but also packed with nutrients! I add it to my meals at least twice a week, because it provides a lovely protein source and honestly makes every meal that little bit more exciting!
So what even is tempeh and how do you make the best tempeh recipe? Let’s get into it!
What is tempeh?
Commonly known for its high protein content, tempeh is a plant-based protein source that is widely believed to have originated in Indonesia and offers a range of health benefits. It’s incredibly rich in calcium, iron and magnesium. For example, about 150g of tempeh contains about 2/3 of the calcium found in 230ml of whole milk.
Tempeh is made from fermented soya beans and can usually be bought in a block. It has a slightly nutty flavour and the ability to absorb the flavours of any food or sauce to which it is added, which lends it to many sorts of dishes, from chillies and stews to salads and tacos.
How to cook tempeh
As tempeh’s texture is quite similar to that of tofu, it can also be cooked similar to tofu.
However, you don’t need to press tempeh ahead of cooking. Its texture and consistency make it a great addition to a variety of marinades and stews and add heartiness and protein to any meal.
You can grill, pan-fry or bake tempeh. Add crumbled or diced tempeh to pasta sauces, stews, chillies and curries or simply add pan-fried tofu to your favourite veggie bowls and salads. For the best texture, I recommend baking it.
Nutritional value of tempeh
A 84g (3-ounce) serving of tempeh contains these nutrients:
- Calories: 162
- Protein: 15g
- Carbs: 9g
- Total fat: 9g
- Sodium: 9mg
- Iron: 12% of the RDI
- Calcium: 9% of the RDI
- Riboflavin: 18% of the RDI/
- Niacin: 12% of the RDI
- Magnesium: 18% of the RDI
- Phosphorus: 21% of the RDI
- Manganese: 54% of the RDI
Where can I find tempeh?
You can usually find tempeh at any health food store or in the refrigerated section of some larger supermarkets.
What you need for the best tempeh recipe
To make the best tempeh, you will need:
- Soy sauce
- Agave syrup
- Olive oil
- Rice vinegar
- Garlic cloves
- Chilli flakes
I love serving tempeh with rice, mango, spring onion and fresh coriander and usually drizzle it with 1-2 tbsp of the marinade. But feel free to get creative and try different variations!
Total cooking time: 30 minutes + at least 30 minutes to marinade | Serves: 2 | Easy
- 1 block tempeh
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp agave syrup
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 tsp of ginger, grated
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp chilli flakes
1. Combine all marinade ingredients in a shallow bowl or container and whisk until well combined. Taste and adjust flavour as needed. Add more chillies flakes for some extra heat or lime juice for acidity.
2. Reserve 2 tbsp of the marinade and set aside.
3. Cut the tempeh into small cubes or slices.
4. Add the tempeh to the marinade and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes, ideally a few hours or overnight.
5. Preheat your oven to 190C.
6. Transfer the tempeh to a baking sheet (make sure to space out evenly) and bake in the pre-heated oven for 20 minutes or until golden brown and crispy.
I love serving this tempeh with rice, mango, spring onion and fresh coriander. Drizzle with leftover marinade et voilà!
What's Your Reaction?
Co-Founder of Veano