This vegan sweet potato and carrot soup is packed with nutrients, really simple to make and an ideal winter warmer. You’ll need plenty of red onion, garlic and fresh ginger for this one. Save yourself some time and make big batches so you can keep in the freezer for lazy, cozy nights at home.
As we’re approaching the colder months, we feel like we could eat soup every day. A bowl of warming soup is simply the best comfort food on a cold day, isn’t it?! We first made this vegan sweet potato and carrot soup a few years ago, when we transitioned to a vegan diet. Soups are great for vegan beginners, because they require minimal effort and make it easy to combine essential nutrients. Nourishing and delicious – to this day this soup remains one of our absolute favourites.
Can I freeze this soup?
Absolutely! Frozen soups can be a lifesaver on busy days when you don’t have the time to prepare meals. Make sure to let the soup cool completely before pouring it into a freezer safe container or bag. Also don’t fill your container all the way full! Liquid expands when you freeze it so leave a few inches/centimeter of space.
Tip: If you’re freezing more than one soup, label it with the name of the soup so you don’t forget which one is which. Soups will last in the freezer for up to three months.
Is this soup gluten-free?
Yes, this vegan sweet potato and carrot soup is gluten-free. Just double check that the vegetable stock you’re using is gluten-free.
Total cooking time: 25 minutes | Serves: 2 | Easy
- 2 sweet potatoes
- 5 large carrots
- 1 red onion
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
- 2cm fresh ginger, finely chopped
- 400ml vegetable stock
- ½ can coconut milk
1. Peel and cut the sweet potato into 1cm chunks, peel the carrots and cut into thin slices and dice the red onion.
2. Heat olive oil in a pot over medium heat. Add onions, ginger and garlic cloves and sauté for 4-5 minutes.
3. Add in the carrots and cook for another minute. Stir in vegetable stock, and bring the pot to the boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover the pot with a lid and cook for 15 minutes, or until the sweet potato is tender.
4. Add coconut milk then remove the pot from the heat and blend the soup, using a hand blender, until smooth. Alternatively, tip the soup into a food processor and blend. Season to taste and serve.
If you’re looking for more warming vegan recipes, why not try the recipes below:
PS: We absolutely love seeing your takes on our recipes! If you make our vegan sweet potato and carrot soup, tag us on Instagram as @weareveano. Also let us know how this recipe turns out for you in the comments!
What's Your Reaction?
Founder of Veano