This kale and roasted chickpea salad is packed with crispy veggies, plant-based protein, lovely spices and our all-time favourite lemon-tahini dressing.
Well, we’ll have to admit, kale has long been one of our least liked vegetables. But we thought we’d give it a go and experiment with a few new kale recipes. And let us tell you, we now know what all the hype is about! Combined with curry roasted chickpeas and tossed with a lemon-tahini dressing, this recipe is packed with flavour, super easy to make and simply delicious.
We hope that even the most reluctant kale eaters among you will love this one! So if you’re looking for a simple weeknight dinner or healthy weekend brunch side, pick up some fresh kale and give it a try!
Kale’s health benefits:
Did you know that kale is among the most nutrient-dense foods on the planet? It has an incredibly low calorie content, contains very little fat and can help you to increase the total nutrient content of your diet.
Kale is also a great source of vitamin C – it contains about 4.5 times much as spinach – and holds bile acid sequestrants, which can help lower cholesterol levels. Well, with so many health benefits, there is really no reason not to incorporate kale into our diets!
Why you’ll love this kale and roasted chickpea salad:
Packed with nutrients
As mentioned above, of all the healthy greens, kale is king. But let’s not forget about the health benefits of chickpeas in this recipe! As part of the legume family, chickpeas are incredibly rich in vitamins, minerals and fiber. Additionally, the white beans add a great source of numerous micronutrients, including folate, magnesium, and vitamin B6.
Combination of flavours
The flavours in this kale and roasted chickpea salad are exciting and incredibly comforting! The roasted chickpeas’s nutty taste and grainy texture pairs well with the kale’s strong and earthy taste. Combined with a mild lemon-tahini dressing – this salad is a real explosion of flavour!
This kale and roasted chickpea salad requires minimal effort and a handful of cupboard staples, keeping your shopping list short!
Total cooking time: 20 minutes | Serves: 2 | Easy
For the kale and roasted chickpea salad:
150g kale, ribs removed, chopped
1 tin (400g) chickpeas
½ tin (200g) white beans
Handful red cabbage, chopped
1 tsp curry powder
1 tsp garlic powder
2 tbsp olive oil
1/2 tsp salt
For the lemon-tahini dressing:
2 tbsp tahini
2 tbsp olive oil
Juice from ½ lemon
1/2 tsp mustard
1/2 tbsp maple syrup
1/4 tsp salt
1. Preheat the oven to 190°C.
2. Rinse and drain the chickpeas, then spread on a kitchen towel and pat them dry.
3. Combine chickpeas, curry powder, garlic, ¼ tsp salt and olive oil in a bowl and give everything a good mix.
4. Transfer the chickpeas to a baking sheet or baking dish and roast in the preheated oven for 15 minutes, or until crispy.
5. In the meantime, wash the kale, then put in a large bowl and mix in the olive oil and ¼ tsp salt. Add to the baking dish when there is 5 minutes left on the clock.
6. While the veggies are roasting in the oven, make the dressing. Simply combine all ingredients in a small bowl and set aside.
7. To serve, combine crispy kale, roasted chickpeas, white beans, red cabbage and radishes in a bowl and pour lemon tahini dressing over the salad. Season with more salt and pepper if needed.
Looking for more easy vegan recipes? Then give these recipes a try:
- Sweet Potato and Carrot Soup
- Vegan Quinoa Bowl With Roasted Sweet Potato Wedges and Asparagus
- Cashew Cheese Toasties
PS: We absolutely love seeing your takes on our recipes! If you make our kale and roasted chickpea salad, tag us on Instagram as @weareveano. Also let us know how this recipe turns out for you in the comments!
What's Your Reaction?
Founder of Veano